Friday, January 31, 2014

Monkey dentist gives dog a check-up

A playful schnauzer dog got more than he bargained for when he stumbled across a baby monkey in Misahualli.
Monkey dentist and the dog 1/9
"You look like fun."
Monkey dentist and the dog 2/9
Reinforcements... "ATTACK!"
Monkey dentist and the dog 3/9
"If you could just relax, please"
Monkey dentist and the dog 4/9
The Schauzer's moustache whiskers make great monkey handles
Monkey dentist and the dog 5/9
"Are you sure you're a trained dentist?"
"Yes," the monkey lied
Monkey dentist and the dog 6/9
"Open wide"
Monkey dentist and the dog 7/9
Up to the elbow in dog
Monkey dentist and the dog 8/9
Are you sure this is entirely necessary?
Monkey dentist and the dog 9/9
"Ugh! Dog slobber"

Misahualli is a town in Ecuador's Napo province, in the Amazon region. The monkeys rule the town and live openly in the main square as a rowdy gang.

Naturally tourists love to lark around with the monkeys, but they'd better keep a close eye on their possessions.

When I was taking these photos I left my motorcycle jacket unguarded and returned to find a monkey trying to drag it away. Luckily it was too heavy but the monkey was persistent. I tried to shoo him away but he unfurled his lips like Dracula and showed me his terrifying fangs. Surely he won't bite me, I reasoned (with no logic whatsoever) and shooed him again. This time he tried to bite me. A local Kichwa man who'd watched the situation unfold picked  up a rock and lobbed it at the thieving mono. "Would be haven bitten me?" I asked. "Claro," he said.

1 comment: